Laos, China sign MOU to develop organic farms
Vientiane Times | 26 October 2011
Nanning, China: Lao and Chinese businesses this week signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for investment in organic farming in Laos, at a cost of about US$5 million.
The signing ceremony took place at the Lao booth at the 8th China-Asean Expo in Nanning, China, on October 23.
Laos' KPN Tapioca Factory and China's Institute of Vegetables and Flowers, Chinese Academy of agricultural Sciences (CAAS) and Beihai Industrious Modern Agriculture Service Centre are parties to the agreement.
“Our organic farms in Laos will begin operation in the next three months,” President of the KPN Tapioca Factory Mrs Kongphat Thavitham told Vientiane Times .
According to the MOU, the locations for the organic farms are in Oudomphon village of Xaythany district, Vientiane, and in Lomsack village in Bachieng district, Champassak province.
Mrs Kongphat said her company will provide land and facilities for managing the investment. The Chinese companies will provide 51 percent of the investment including technical support and machinery while the remaining 49 percent of funding will come from by KPN.
Beihai Industrious Modern Agriculture Service Centre, formerly known as Chongqing Industrious Modern Agricul-ture Service Centre, is a high technology agricultural enterprise with technical support from the Institute of Vegetables and Flowers under CAAS.
It is one of the first ente rprises in Chongqing to design and construct urban gardens, agricultural theme parks and garden greenhouses, General Manager of CAAS and Beihai Industrious Modern Agriculture Service Centre Mr Ran Dongsheng said.
“We are willing to carry out agricultural cooperation with other cities and Asean countries in terms of providing technical support for modern agriculture and training agricultural technicians, promoting the sale of vegetables, melons, fruits, flowers, seeds and seedlings, and designing and constructing various types of greenhouses, he
The centre conducts research and development on various kinds of soilless agriculture including wall-type, columnar, tube and three-dimensional soil-less cultivation, multifunctional hydroponic agriculture, cultivation of sweet potato on shelves in intelligent greenhouses and the cultivation of melons, fruits and grains.
The centre offers human resources and tremendous technological strength including a number of staff members with master's degrees and doctorates.
“We also have a professional team of senior expert consultants from CAAS and outstanding management personnel,” Mr Ran said.
Post a comment